Saturday, September 26, 2009

Remembering a Great Man

A GREAT MAN WENT BACK TO HEAVEN

Fermin dela Cruz Bigting - July 7, 1927 to March 13, 2008

He is my grandfather. My idol. My fan.

The sad thing was that he called last Friday because he just went home from almost a week in the hospital. Sad that I missed it. It was around 10:30AM, the same time that I went to work.

He was diagnosed with colon cancer which dramatically reached his liver. He just had his chemotherapy, I guess that was just two days ago. My mom texted me this lunch informing me that Grandpa went back home, to Jesus. Lolo could have spared my Grandma, who’s also in the hospital now recuperating from pelvic fracture. Or it was really just time to be called back to heaven. :(

My Idol.

He is my icon of a greatest leader, our small and humble town of Nampicuan ever had. A good Mayor he was, he established many plans for our municipality. These plans are now being undertaken by the current leaderships who assume the post he vacated.

My true measure of integrity in leadership. As one time we were exchanging thoughts of how he ran the municipal office, that he could have taken bribes so that, we his beloved grandchildren, would have not experienced hardships. But honest as he is, he did not accept any commissions from all the projects under his governance. He was just laughing, thinking that he could’ve just pocketed big sums of money.

He is the support that anybody can have. Just say what you need and with no thinking twice he’ll give it to you. *Thanks Grandpa for this laptop, the i-pod and most of all my College Diploma.

My Fan.

He was the one insisting that I work in the academe. He was happy that I landed my first job in an office of student affairs in Cabanatuan. Bothered he was when I transferred to PNRC and fought for honesty but failed. And when I told him that I’m back to my alma mater, as a college instructor, he was more than willing to once again give me "Grandpa’s Scholarship" to finish my master’s degree. *Well, Grandpa rest assured that I’ll be frugal this time and of course share what you gave me to my siblings.

He made a deal with me when I was in High School - for every grade of 90% up I’ll be given a cash incentive of P100. He also did this to my brothers and my cousins. *Just don’t ask how rich we are. *Yabang!*hehehehe* See how great a fan our Grandfather is, willing to pay for a grand performance. He even gave me my tuition for finishing my College degree. He was with me when I accepted my diploma and awards. He believed in all of us so much, that he never bothered to check if we are really using what he gives to enroll or meet up academic requirements. He was that faithful.

I might not be there beside you Lolo, but I want you to know for the Nth time that I love you so much. Thank you for pushing me more. I’ll bring with me everything that you taught us, all of the WISDOM.

Lord, thanks for taking back my Grand Dad. I know the time has come that he has to go back home, with you. He had done his part, its time for us to do ours.

**Have to halt, i might flood the office with my tears. I love you Lolo.

The historic March 13, 2008 Friendster Blog. Of course, I edited some portions of it. I would just like to share with you how much I loved my Lolo Emin. I miss him so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Speak Up!